Peak Consulting recently worked with a client near Hershey, PA. Hershey is home to Hershey’s Chocolate World and Hershey Park among many other attractions.
How did Hershey’s chocolate and Hershey, PA get started? Milton Hershey, Hershey’s Chocolate founder, tried a couple of different unprofitable confectionery ventures before his caramel company became a hit in 1886. Over a hundred years ago, chocolate was a luxury enjoyed only by the wealthy until Milton Hershey built a chocolate factory and began mass-producing milk chocolate making it affordable for everyone.
- In 1894, the Hershey’s Chocolate brand began when Hershey’s Cocoa was introduced to the public.
- In the early 1900’s, Milton designed and helped build a model town which later became known as Hershey, PA.
- In 1906, Milton built the Hershey Park so his employees and their families could relax and have fun.
- In 1907, Hershey’s Kisses were first introduced and they were wrapped by hand in foil.
- In 1909, Milton Hershey started the MILTON HERSHEY SCHOOL to help educate orphaned boys.
- In 1927, the first printed S’mores recipe appeared in the Girl Scout handbook. The name came about because everyone who tasted one asked for some more!
- In 1928, Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup was sold in stores.
- 1929-1939, Milton Hershey funded the Great Building Campaign during the Great Depression which put 600 men to work. Several major structures were built including the Hershey Chocolate Corporation, Hershey Arena and Hershey Stadium.
- In 1945, Milton Hershey passed away but his legacy lives on.
Hershey, PA is definitely an interesting place to visit!