This travel blog is going to be a little different. Megan, Peak’s Marketing Specialist, is returning to school at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas. She wanted to share a little history about the city of Atchison and Benedictine College. Check out some facts below!
- Atchison is located along the Missouri River in Atchison County, Kansas.
- Atchison was founded in 1854 and named in honor of the Missouri senator David Rice Atchison who interested some of his friends in the scheme of forming a city in the new territory.
- At the outbreak of the American Civil War, there were three militia companies organized here.
- Amelia Earhart was born in Atchison where her birth house still stands and is open to the public.
- This is also where Benedictine College is located, where Megan attends.
- The most popular majors at Benedictine are Business, Education, and Theology.
- Benedictine’s mascot is Rocky the Raven.
- The Ravens compete in fifteen varsity sports and Megan is on the track and field team.
- Benedictine College is ordered to the goal of wisdom lived out in responsible awareness for oneself, God and nature, family, and society.
- Benedictine College supports and encourages the full development of its students through a community life that expresses and proclaims the worth and dignity of each individual.
Atchison is a small town, but is filled with a ton of history and interesting facts. Megan is excited to return to school, but also sad to be farther away from the Peak Team. She will be working part-time at Peak this semester and is looking forward to visiting soon!