Peak recently visited a bank in Mattoon, Illinois and learned some interesting history along the way!
- Mattoon is a city in Cole County, Illinois.
- One of the main factors determining the settlement of Mattoon was the topography.
- The growth and subsequent history of Mattoon is tied to the local Railroads.
- This city is the home to the first Burger King; however, it is not related to the Burger King chain.
- In 1917, the town was devastated by a F4 tornado, which killed 101 people and injured approximately 638 people.
- The Burger King-unrelated to the Florida-based fast food chain Burger King-is a Mattoon restaurant whose owners claim it is the “original” Burger King.
- In 1968, they sued the national chain Burger King, producing a well-known case in United States trademark law.
- The federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that federal trademark registration has priority over state law, giving the national Burger King chain rights to the name beyond a 20-mile radius around the original Burger King.
- This case is well-known in the United States Trademark law regarding the Lanham Act.
- Today, the closest Burger King franchise is 25 miles away.
- The 1986 arrival of the Lender’s Bagels factory led Mattoon to dub itself the “Bagel Capital of the World.”
- Situated on 65-acres of woodlands, wetlands, and prairie land, the Douglas-Hart Nature Center is a leisurely nature center that features trails and natural attractions.
- The Mattoon Academy of Gymnastics & Dance, a 22,000-square-foot facility, offers classes in tumbling, trampoline, gymnastics, and cheerleading.
The original Burger King is located right across the street from where Peak was consulting at.